Mr. Smarty Pants
Our resident know-it-all unearths the latest trivia.
By R.U. Steinberg
MAY 4, 1998:
- Car parts cartoon characters Manny, Moe, and Jack were allegedly born in California.
- Lucent Technology is working on a plastic transistor that can be sprayed onto
things like credit cards and show their owners their balance and recent transactions.
- Some in Thai culture are superstititious about MSG and believe it will make your
hair fall out.
- According to author Stephen Ambrose, the origin of the phrase "the whole
nine yards" comes from WWII when American fighter planes were loaded with 27-foot
belts of 50 caliber ammunition. If a pilot really wanted to shoot down an enemy,
he might end up giving him the "whole nine yards."
- 1950s bad guy professional wrestler Hans Schmidt used to say he was from Munich,
Germany, when in fact he was French Canadian.
The above is information which Mr. Smarty Pants read in a book, a magazine, or
the newspaper; heard on the radio; saw on television; or overheard at a party. Got
any facts? Drop a line to Mr. Smarty Pants, at firstname.lastname@example.org
News & Opinion: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Cover . News . Film . Music . Arts . Books . Comics